Divorce can be one of the most difficult, traumatic, and expensive events that can arise in a person’s life. It doesn’t have to be. If you have the right attorney, the process can be smooth and painless. New Yorkers who are contemplating a divorce action should choose the right attorney for their individual case. Every case is different. The Law Office of John C. Kim, P.C. is that right attorney. Consider the following:
- An uncontested divorce, where both parties are in agreement and consent to the dissolution of their marriage, takes an average of 3 months.
- For an uncontested divorce, there is no court appearance necessary, we will handle everything from beginning to end.
- If you do not know where your spouse is currently residing, you can still dissolve the marriage and put the past behind you. The process is complicated and may take some time but you are not trapped in a marriage that no longer really exists.
- In the State of New York a person filing for divorce must cite a reason, or “grounds” for divorce. There are a limited number of acceptable “grounds” for divorce. However, since 2010, a new ground has been added, effectively permitting no-fault divorce in New York state. We can advise you as to which reason is proper under your specific factual circumstances and ensure that your divorce will be successful.
- New York State follows the equitable distribution theory of property division. In other words, the court, under a totality of the circumstances standard, will fairly divide divorcing couple’s marital assests between the husband and wife. We can advise you as to what property is considered marital property and how most likely assets of the marriage will be divided.
- Annulments are available in the State of New York. However, how you get an annulment is very different. There are qualitative differences in how you get an annulment and what it means. As well, the proof necessary and the reasons supporting annulment actions are complicated, it’s best to discuss the various options with an experienced attorney.
- Legal separations are available in New York the same day. Many issues such as child support, spousal support, division of marital assets can be addressed in a properly drafted legal separation agreement. The agreement should be drafted in a manner to protect your interests. That why you need an attorney who is looking out for you.
Be Smart. Get the Facts. Know the Law.